Hull Independent Cinema has announced details of its final season of films for 2022. The season opens on Monday 3 October with a special screening of CLERKS III, the new sequel to the cult classic CLERKS, in partnership with Cult Cinema Sunday.
Then, on Wednesday 5 October, is a screening of the stunning documentary FIRE OF LOVE, about two French scientists who revolutionised our understanding of volcanoes and recorded stunning images along the way, before dying in an accident doing what they loved most. They are the first of fifteen titles that showcase the best of independent, world and documentary film. Screenings take place at Vue Cinema and Hull Truck Theatre.
Highlights of the new season include MOONAGE DAYDREAM, a documentary about the life and work of David Bowie based on five years of research and with access to Bowie’s personal archives; the latest piece of disturbing body horror from master of the genre David Cronenberg in CRIMES OF THE FUTURE; the sumptuous biopic EMILY, shot on the wild Yorkshire moors and starring Emma Mackey (Sex Education) as Emily Brontë; and Ruben Östlund’s wickedly funny Palme d’Or winner TRIANGLE OF SADNESS.
Special events include the return of HIC’s AUDIENCE CHOICE screening, where audience members get to choose which film will be screened from a shortlist of new releases, classics, and hidden gems. There will also be a very special event at Hull Minster on Thursday 27 October as part of the BFI’s In Dreams Are Monsters horror season, with more details to be announced soon.
James Russell, Chair of Trustees at Hull Independent Cinema, said, “We’re excited to wrap up our first full year back after Covid with this brilliant new season of films. It’s great to be working with our friends at Cult Cinema Sunday again, and to offer Hull audiences the chance to see fantastic cinema they can’t catch anywhere else in the city.”
This year, Hull Independent Cinema is introducing a new benefit for HIC members, who can buy tickets for one specially selected film for just £1. This season’s choice is Owen Kline’s bitingly funny coming-of-age comedy FUNNY PAGES (a “terrific, tonally flawless feature debut” – New York Times) on Wednesday 9 November.
Tickets for most events are £7, with discounts available for HIC members, students and under-25s. Full details of the film programme, how to buy tickets, and how to become an HIC member are available on the HIC website (hullindependentcinema.com). Printed copies of the film programme are also available at all screenings and from bars, cafés, shops and other locations around the city.
All films start at 7.30pm except those at Hull Truck Theatre and the special Hull Minster event, which start at 7.00pm
● Monday 3 October, Vue: CLERKS III | Kevin Smith | 2022 | USA | Cert 15 | Comedy | In partnership with Cult Cinema Sunday
● Wednesday 5 October, Vue: FIRE OF LOVE | Sara Dosa | 2022 | Canada / USA | Cert PG | Documentary
● Thursday 13 October, Truck: HIT THE ROAD | Panah Panahi | 2021 | Iran | Cert 12A | Drama ● Tuesday 18 October, Vue: CRIMES OF THE FUTURE | David Cronenberg | 2022 | Canada / UK / Greece | Cert 18 | Drama / Horror / SF
● Wednesday 26 October, Truck: SHE WILL | Charlotte Colbert | 2021 | UK | Cert 15 | Horror / Drama / Thriller
● Thursday 27 October, Hull Minster: IN DREAMS ARE MONSTERS double bill | Special event, details to be announced soon
● Tuesday 1 November, Vue: FLUX GOURMET | Peter Strickland | 2022 | UK / Hungary / USA | Cert 15 | Horror / Comedy
● Wednesday 9 November, Vue: FUNNY PAGES | Owen Kline | 2022 | USA | Cert 18 | Comedy | HIC members pay just £1
● Thursday 17 November, Vue: MOONAGE DAYDREAM | Brett Morgan | 2022 | Germany / USA | Cert 15 | Documentary
● Tuesday 22 November, Vue: GIRL PICTURE | Alli Haapasalo | 2022 | Finland | Cert 15 | Drama / Romance
● Wednesday 30 November, Vue: EMILY | Frances O’Connor | 2022 | UK / USA | Cert TBC | Drama / Biographical
● Thursday 8 December, Vue: DECISION TO LEAVE | Park Chan-wook | 2022 | South Korea | Cert 15 | Drama / Mystery
● Tuesday 13 December, Vue: TRIANGLE OF SADNESS | Ruben Östlund | 2022 | Sweden / France / UK / Germany / Turkey / Greece | Cert TBC | Drama ● Wednesday 21 December, Vue: AUDIENCE CHOICE | Details to be confirmed